This can be done quickly (using instant custard) or for a special occasion made with real custard. This is a favourite in our home, from our own family recipe and is a great winter pudding for a grownup party – it feels a tiny bit naughty – but nice!
3 egg yolks
1/2pt double cream
1 oz caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflower
(or use 1pt instant custard)
5 trifle sponges
8 oz apricots soaked over night in brandy
1/2 pt double cream for topping
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar and cornflower together in a bowl.
- Once the cream is hot (but not boiling) stir into the egg mixture.
- Now return to the pan and continually stir over a low heat until thick.
- Set aside to cool.
Making the pudding:
- Break up the sponge and spread with apricot jam and place in the bottom of a glass serving bowl.
- Chop the banana and the soaked apricots and scatter over the sponges.
- Pour the custard over the top.
- Whisk up the remaining cream and spread over the top.
- You can keep back a few apricots to decorate the top.
- Cover and chill for a few hours.